Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By juker

Thread: Super quick/easy/healthy christmas cake recipe

Super quick/easy/healthy christmas cake recipe

This is such an easy, quick and healthy recipe for cake that I just had to share! Who would have thought that cake could be so healthy

750ml orange juice
    750g dried mixed fruit/peel
    525g self-raising flour

Soak the dried mixed fruit/peel in the orange juice overnight, fold in the flour and then put in an oven at 120 degrees for 2+ hours depending on the tin you use

This will keep for 3-4 weeks in an air-tight container

Yes it really is that easy!! How much healthier could you get? Dried fruit and fruit juice, and no fats! It makes a really nice, moist christmas cake/fruit cake
    inearlygaveup likes this.

No way! Imma gonna havta trythis..

I couldnt believe it until I saw it for myself, have since made it and adapted adding grated apple and mashed banana that needed using, I did approximately...

500g dried mixed fruit and peel
    600ml orange juice
    2 ripe mashed banana
    1 large apple - grated
    425g self raising flour

leaving the dried fruit to soak overnight then adding the other ingredients and cooking as above

Seems to be an easy recipe to adapt and I like adapting recipes, I am not good at following the rules of cooking :P I like to see what needs using and work out a way of using it as I hate waste

Hi,
    I know this recipe :

Put the butter, sugar, fruit, zests, juice and 100ml/3½fl oz brandy in a large pan. Bring slowly to the boil, stirring until the butter has melted. Reduce the heat and bubble for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool for 30 minutes.
    Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 150C/gas 2/ fan 130C and line the cake tin. Toast the nuts in a dry frying pan, tossing them until evenly browned, or in the oven for 8-10 minutes - keep an eye on them as they burn easily. When they are cool, chop roughly. Stir the eggs, nuts and ground almonds into the fruit mixture and mix well. Sift the flour, baking powder and spices into the pan. Stir in gently, until there are no traces of flour left.
    Spoon the mixture into the tin and smooth it down evenly - you will find this is easiest with the back of a metal spoon which has been dipped into boiling water.
    Bake for 45 minutes, then turn down the heat to 140C/gas 1/ fan120C and cook for a further 1-1¼ hours (about a further 1¾ hours if you have a gas oven) until the cake is dark golden in appearance and firm to the touch. Cover the top of the cake with foil if it starts to darken too much. To check the cake is done, insert a fine skewer into the centre - if it comes out clean, the cake is cooked.
    Make holes all over the warm cake with a fine skewer and spoon the extra 4tbsp brandy over the holes until it has all soaked in. Leave the cake to cool in the tin. When it's cold, remove it from the tin, peel off the lining paper, then wrap first in baking parchment and then in foil. The cake will keep in a cupboard for up to three months or you can freeze it for six months.
    Last edited by juker; 12-03-2012 at 09:49 PM.

1. The night before, place the dried fruit in a saucepan with the booze and bring to a simmer. Pour into a bowl, cool, cover and leave to soften.
    2. The following day, preheat the oven to 150C/gas 2 and line the base and sides of a 23cm round tin or a 20cm square tin with a double layer of greaseproof paper. You’ll need the side lining to be a good 8cm higher than the tin.
    3. If you’d like your cake to be particularly moist, blitz half the soaked fruit in a food processor to make a paste, and stir back into the rest of the fruit. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Grate in the zest of your lemon and beat in the eggs, one at a time. Mix in the treacle. Sift the flour and combine with the spices and ground almonds. Mix into the butter mixture, alternating with the soaked fruit. Finally, fold in the walnuts. Spoon the mixture into the lined tin and bake in the oven for about 3 hours. Check after 2½ hours and then every 20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
    4. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, brush with a little more booze. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then remove, placing it directly onto a large sheet of tin foil. Wrap it up twice to retain the heat for as long as possible. After a few hours, remove the foil and wrap the cake up again in a double sheet of greaseproof paper and a double sheet of tin foil, making sure you can access the cake from the top. Store in an airtight container for 2-12 weeks. During this time, feed the cake the alcohol of your choice by gently pouring it over the top and rewrapping.

Bumping this as a vegan baking recipe